Thursday, April 21, 2011

Seeing Red

Red lipstick is one of those things that has so many different meanings.  Worn correctly, it can be trendy, classic, confident, sexy, and powerful.  Worn incorrectly... well, you run the risk of looking a little like Courtney Love.

I've been wanting to try red lipstick for a while now, and have been talking about it and googling pictures of Cameron Diaz and Kate Bostworth with red lipstick juuuust to see what it might look like on me if I somehow morphed into a tall thin blonde gorgeous movie star.

Now I love me some makeup (always have, always will), but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the red lipstick.  But this past weekend, after 30 minutes, countless shades, and one very patient friend's opinion (thanks!), I finally walked out of Sephora with what what was the closest-to-perfect shade of red we could find.  It's red enough to still be considered "red lipstick", but has enough of a coral/orange undertone to still be fresh and trendy. 

I hesitantly debuted it to brunch this weekend.  I didn't want to look like I was trying to hard, but I kept touching and pursing my lips since I was hyper-conscious of them (and the apply-blot-apply method looks great but completely dries out your lips.  Must figure that out).  After an entire brunch (including one re-application!)... my friends didn't even mention my lipstick.  That means one of three things: 1. it looked so natural they didn't even realize it was new 2. it looked so terrible they were embarrassed to say anything 3. wearing lipstick isn't as big a deal as I thought. 

It definitely is more of an effort than the usual "sheer lipbalm", but I'm going to try to start incorporating it into my makeup routine.  As long as it looks like I'm not trying too hard.

NARS lipstick in Jungle Red, $22


No comments:

Post a Comment