Friday, April 8, 2011

I Love New York

I've been feeling a bit restless lately.  I talked about it in my previous post-- the post college "itch" (I hate that word and will think of a new term... you're welcome)-- and I've started to think that now might be a great time for a change.  I'm not married, I don't have a house, or a mortgage, or a serious boyfriend, or a dog, or really anything that would require me to stay in New York.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE New York.  I feel so lucky to live in such a wonderful city that is so full of excitement, friends, activity, and amazing food.  I really never even considered living anywhere else.

But New York can be hard on you at times.  It's easy to feel  lonely, even though you're surrounded by people.  Sometimes there actually are too many choices-- What's the best new restaurant?  Hottest wine bar?  Best park?  Greatest neighborbood?  Cheapest rent?  I've been having a seemingly inescapable feeling that I am running around and around on a hamster wheel and I am not sure what for.  Work-stress-anxiety-phones ringing-crowded streets-subway-gym-treadmill-spinning-make money-go out-spend money-buy-return...and start again.   I ran out of work last night to go to a yoga class (sprinted and got there late, of course), so it took me a good 15 sun saltuations to get my zen on.  Hour class, we say our Namaste, I roll up my mat, feeling good... and have to wait on a freaking LINE to put my blanket away.  I huffed, and I puffed, and I cut the line and threw mine on top of the pile, completely disregarding whatever folding rule everyone else was following.

Seriously?  In a yoga class?   Chicago is starting to look pretty good.  Or Portland.  Denver!  Everyone is so happy out there!

So I left, only slightly less stressed than when I started...but them something amazing happened.  That nagging feeling melted away and it turned into one of those perfect New York nights.  I met a dear friend for amazing cocktails in the East Village, had an absolutely delicious dinner, and went to the coolest, most secluded speakeasy I've ever been to.  We sat in the corner of this bar with wonderful drinks, having a great time, and some guy came over completely out of nowhere and said "you are beautiful".  To my friend, of course.  And then he actually ran away.  But in my Campari-induced fog, I couldn't stop smiling.  (ok, that was probably the drinks).  Even still, isn't that the nicest thing??  For a complete stranger to so genuinely and honestly say that someone is beautiful?  And then run away so you aren't stuck talking to them after?  Doesn't get any better than that.

Nights like that make it so hard for me to seriously consider ever leaving New York.  As long as there is a grungy back alley in alphabet city serving custom-made drinks, I'll be here too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment