Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Impromptu Dinner Party

I'm a huge fan of the Sunday Night Dinner, and I would like to bring it back into my life.  Growing up, Sunday night dinner was pretty much non-negotiable--it happened (and still happens) every week with the same menu: macaroni and gravy.  Or pasta and red sauce, for the non-Italians.  Sometimes with meat, sometimes without-- I think it depended on whatever my mom found in the freezer that morning.

I didn't have much going on this past Sunday afternoon, so I invited a couple of friends over for dinner.  I had visions of an impressive Sunday supper dance through my head... until I realized I only had two hours, no groceries, and not enough seating.  After running to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick up a folding chair, I tried to thnk of something fresh, spring-y, filling enough for two large men, and impressive enough for guests.  I remembered a recent episode of "Everyday Italian" on which Giada made herb-roasted chicken breasts with spring vegetables-- I based my menu off a version of that recipe, and made a delicious spring salad which I had just seen (and had been dreaming about) from the April issue of Bon Appetit, filled with some of my all-time favorite things (peas! goat cheese! edamame!).  Coupled with a side of quinoa with scallions and pine nuts and a quick chocolate-ricotta dessert, I was pretty pleased with what came together in a couple of hours.  More importantly, it was such a nice way to spend Sunday night--squeezing out the last few precious minutes of the weekend.  My apartment, next Sunday?  I have a feeling macaroni and gravy might be on the menu...


Herb-Roasted Chicken Breasts with Spring Vegetables
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
Serves 6

Marinade
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tbls. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbls. fennel seeds
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Chicken and Vegetables
6 bone-in skinless chicken breasts
1 bunch asparagus
5-6 carrots
1 cup cippolini onions (or 1 large red onion)
1 tbls. fennel seeds
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup white wine

1. Combine all ingredients for marinade in a resealable plastic bag.  Mix to combine and add chicken breasts, marinating for at least 30 minutes.
2. Wash and prepare vegetables: chop asparagus into 2- inch pieces, peel carrots and cut into 2- inch matchsticks, and peel cippolini onions.  If using red onion, peel and cut into wedges, keeping root intact.
3. Preheat oven to 400.  Heat a skillet on the stove with a drop of olive oil until it shimmers.  Working in batches, brown chicken on both sides until a golden crust forms, about 3-4 minutes per side.
4. Scatter vegetables in a large roasting pan, toss with a touch of olive oil, fennel seeds, herbs, salt, and pepper.  Nestle chicken in vegetables and add white wine.
5.  Cook on lower rack of oven until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear, about 20-25 minutes, depending on thickness.  Remove chicken and allow to rest, covered with foil.
6.  Return vegetables to oven, bumping up temperature to 425.  Roast 10 minutes longer, until onions have spots of golden brown and asparagus tips are just turning crispy.


I wish I had taken a picture to post but was in such a rush that I couldn't take a minute to stop... Giada's picture is above (courtesy of cookingchanneltv.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment