Monday, April 11, 2011

The Big Cheese

It was my roommate's birthday this weekend, so I threw a little party for her and some of our closest friends before we went downtown for the night.  I must have been a housewife in a previous/current/former life because hosting and cooking for others is one of my absolute favorite things to do.  To keep the feel of a casual cocktail party, I decided on making an antipasti spread so that everyone could just do their own thing.  It was absolutely gorgeous out on Saturday so I wanted to keep it light, fresh, and summery.  I had a few of my favorite things set out-- roasted red and yellow peppers, grilled egglpant and zucchini, fresh tomatoes, and lemon-oregano roasted chicken-- all covered with a generous sprinking of basil.*


I didn't even make the best thing I was serving (how's that for a blow to my cuinary confidence?)-- bread and cheese.  Not just any bread and cheese.  Olive bread and mozzarella.  And not just ANY olive bread and mozzarella.  Homemade black olive bread from Madonia Brother's Bakery (what whaaaaat) and fresh mozzarella from Casa della Mozzarella on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.  This is the stuff that dreams are made out of.  I am almost hesitatnt to publish these little gems (because I feel like they're my secret) but they will actually change your life.  Aside from the fact that the bread is from my family's bakery...it's hand-crafted and baked in-house as it has been for the past hundred or so years; so deliciously salty, crusty, and filled with more olives than you can imagine.  The only thing better than being baked inside a loaf of this and eating your way out is topping a slice with Casa's fresh mozzarella, which is still warm when you buy it because they make it throughout the day in the back of the tiny shop on 187th street.  HOLY YUM.


It's more than worth the trip out of Manhattan.  You can thank me later.


*My family is strangely obsessed with basil.  I think I was the only college student growing basil in my dorm room...and have some growing out on my fire escape now.

No comments:

Post a Comment