Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lambrusco

It seems that each season I get on a kick and have a new drink that I have to have...all the time.  Last summer is was rose wine.  A couple winters ago it was mulled wine.  Prosecco and sea breezes... well, I suppose those are year-round.

My wine du jour is Lambrusco wine, which is a perfect red for the spring and summer.  White wine is fine, but I'm generally much more interested in red.  Lambrusco, from the Emiglia-Romagna region in Italy, is a crisp red with a gentle effervescence-- much less than that of Prosecco-- and fruity but not sweet. 

I first tried this in Italy with pizza, served chilled and in a juice glass.  I can imagine it working well with anything from grilled chicken to pizza to a summer panzanella.  Lambrusco had a bad reputation in the US after the 1970's, but the true Lambrusco wine is nothing like the overly sweet wine which was super trendy back then.  (or so I've heard...)  It's showing up more and more in restaurants-- or better yet, look out for it at your wine store, since it will be at least 300% cheaper there.

Labrusca Lambrusco, retails for about $15

No comments:

Post a Comment