Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fiber!

Not the sexiest title, I admit, but I do love me some fiber.  It just so happens to be found in one of my absolute favorite food groups (beans!), so I usually don't struggle to incorporate it into my diet.  However, I am sure that I can always use more-- not only does it keep you fuller longer, but has been shown to reduce the risk of diabetes and certain cancers.  I'm sold.

While in the health food store a few weeks ago, I picked up a package of GG Bran Crispbreads.  They looked...interesting.  Kind of like sheet of pressed cardboard.  One of the workers said they were great and recommended by Dr. Oz (my mom loves him, so I figured that was good enough for me).
Now I do realize these are probably also very high on the Atkins/low-carb diet charts, which I have little to no interest in.  But these really are great!  They are fat- and preservative-free, and one cracker provides 20% of the daily recommended fiber.  Just don't be expecting Wheat Thins here.  And it may be the last time you're allowed to bring appetizers to a cocktail party if these become your idea of "party crackers".  They're extremely dry, as any 100% bran product is, but with a little help and a glass of water, these really become a snack which holds your over for much longer than your typical cracker.  I usually spread on some almond butter and raspberry jam, and they are also great with a little cream cheese and cinnamon.  I could also see these going a more savory route, topped with hummus and a slice of turkey or cheese.  They might even be elevated from the realm of "fiber cracker" to "actually something you crave" if topped with Nutella... but maybe that would defeat the purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment