Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Is it too much to ask for a plan?

I met someone at a happy hour this past Friday.  Though we only spoke for a short amount of time, he seemed smart, cute, nice enough... basically he was completely unoffensive which, considering the past few I've dated, is grounds for consideration.  We exchanged numbers and went about our separate plans for the night, with the notion that we would touch base later in case our paths crossed.  They didn't, of course, but he did send a text saying how nice it was to meet me and that he would like to buy me dinner or drinks sometime soon.  +1, happy hour man.
He texted me a few more times, and then asked on Monday to let him know if I were free this week and wanted to hang out; an approach which still leaves me in a state of wonder.  It's not as if we are close enough that "let me know when you're free" qualifies as making a date.  Why wouldn't he just ask if I were free on a certain day and actually make a plan?  Or better yet-- call?

But he's cute and I want to give it a chance, so I responded with a definitive "I'm free Thursday".  He said great, that's what he was thinking as well (then why didn't he suggest it?), and he will think of a plan.  So here we are, one night before our first date, and there's no plan. 

Moving forward, I am trying to keep an open mind in my dating career.  But this is one thing that I'm not really interested in compromising.  In my book, "we'll hang out" does not a plan make.  Why is it so hard to commit to a time and a place?  Is the nonchalance an indication that things are too casual, or is it a means of protection?  Is it a way to play games-- and if so, do I leave my entire night open, waiting to see if this "date" materializes, or tell him something came up since he didn't make plans?  I don't know this guy, but I have the sense he's not trying to play games-- and I'm holding out hope that he will pull through tonight and make a plan before I write it off.  I have to draw the line somewhere.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment