Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Slacker

I know, I have been SERIOUSLY slacking on writing posts.  I've been swamped at work and with the weather being so nice... the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a computer any more than I have to.  But I do miss writing and still think I have some mildly relevant things to say, so I am going to get back into the swing of things.

With the past month being as crazy as it has been, work-wise, I've had very little time to cook; most meals have been consumed at my little cubicle.  On the few nights that I was able to come home at a decent (ok, semi-decent) hour, I opted to throw together something for dinner since the thought of another takeout box was enough to turn my stomach.

When you are having one of those late nights, it's nice to have a couple staples in your pantry and recipes in your repertoire.  For me, this usually means some sort of quick salad with random veggies, nuts, quick-cooking or leftover grains, or (my favorite!) beans.  I absolutely love all types of beans, and since I don't eat much meat, I am constantly incorporating them into my diet.  Chickpeas, cannellini beans, black beans, navy beans, edamame, string beans... I'll take them all.
I was so excited when I saw this article in the New York Times a few weeks ago.  Not only is there a delicious recipe listed-- thinly shaved asparagus, radishes, and fennel-- but also multiple suggestions as to how this salad can be adapted to different seasons and cravings.  Behold the cannellini bean salad-- a healthy, delicious, affordable, and wonderfully simple way of highlighting the lowly bean.  

No comments:

Post a Comment