Sunday, June 5, 2011

Salmon with Fennel-Orange Salad

Though I love cooking, there are times that I feel uninspired and at a loss of what I want to cook-- or even what I want to eat.  This mostly happens mid-week, when I'm so exhausted and pre-occupied that I can't think of anything fun, new, or exciting to make.  

There are others times, however, when I do have inspiration...whether by a recipe I've seen in a cookbook or blog, or a restaurant dish I want to re-create, or by a craving so specific that I know exactly what I want to make and how to make it. 

Today I had a fennel bulb in my fridge, which is an ingredient I absolutely love but haven't had in a while-- which meant I couldn't wait to create a meal around it.  The resulting dish is very reminiscent of something my mom used to make a lot during the summer.  The gorgeous stretch of weather we've had in New York called for something crisp, light, and with minimal cooking.  This recipe is easily adaptable and would be great with some substitutions here are there-- grapefruit or even mango for the orange, scallions for the red onion, or swordfish or tuna for the salmon.

Salmon with Fennel-Orange Salad
serves 1

for the salmon
1 6-oz filet of salmon
1 tbls. white wine
1 tbls lemon juice
lemon zest
salt and pepper, to taste

for the salad
1/4 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
1 navel orange, zested and segmented
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 handful arugula
1/4 avocado, diced
4 basil leaves, sliced into chiffonade

for the dressing
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tbls. lemon juice
1 tbls. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbls. olive oil 
salt and pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 375.  Combine the fennel, red onion, orange segments, orange zest, tomatoes, and arugula in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.  Slowly add in olive oil while whisking constantly, until dressing is fully combined.  Pour over salad, toss to combine.  Gently fold in avocado and basil so they do not bruise; set aside to let flavors come together.

2. Line a baking sheet with foil.  Place salmon in center of the foil square and season with salt and pepper.  Fold up sides of foil to create a packet around salmon.  Top with lemon juice and wine, and seal foil packet tightly.  Cook for 20-23 minutes, until salmon is just opaque in the center.

3. Assemble by putting a little a heaping mound of salad in the center of your plate.  Top with the salmon still hot from the oven, so arugula and fennel begin to slightly wilt.  Pour over any dressing remaining in the mixing bowl.


No comments:

Post a Comment